A New Experience for 2017
As a StudioXperience student intern you’ll be working with the Waskul.TV production team in a live broadcast environment featuring state-of-the-art technologies and IP based solutions that will dramatically change how news is collected, managed and delivered to audiences throughout the world.
New to our production workflow this year will be the NewTek IP Series Modular Video Production System shown above. It combines SDI with video over IP in a modular live broadcast video production system offering virtually unlimited access to video sources.
Get Moving Today!
The Experience for Contest Winners
Friday April 21, 2017
- Interns travel to Las Vegas, NV
Saturday April 22, 2017
- Interns assist in setting up the production workflow in the StudioXperience® venue
Sunday April 23, 2017
- Intern briefing in StudioXperience at 9:00 am
- Interns train on production tools and begin working with the Waskul.TV production team
- Interns interact with industry leaders participating in the StudioXperience Technology Showcase
- Interns meet with Steve Waskul, discuss assignments, receive feedback and prepare for the week’s activities.
Monday April 24th – Wednesday, April 26, 2017
- Interns work as full members of the Waskul.TV production team
- Interns gain experience performing a wide range of tasks
- Interns get “hands-on” exposure to some of the latest technologies being utilized in the Waskul.TV production workflow
Thursday April 27, 2017
- Selected interns will receive live “on-air” time as part of the official live broadcast
- Interns assist the Waskul.TV production team in striking the studio after the show officially closes
Friday April 28, 2017
- Interns travel home
Here’s the short list of what you’ll need to provide to apply for this opportunity:
- Your name, address and phone number
- Your e-mail address
- Name of your college or university
- A short essay describing what you feel you would bring to the table as a member of the Waskul.TV produciton team
- Answers to a brief skills inventory
- A faculty recommendation letter
- Headshot or photos
As an optional item you can provide a link to a 30 second or 1 minute spot about yourself or a video or news story that you created. You can choose to create a private YouTube video and provide details on how to access your video online if you like.
2017 StudioXperience Student Challenge Contest Details
The Waskul.TV “StudioXperience™ Student Challenge” (the “Contest”) is a contest open to Junior & Senior students in the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia who are attending a four year undergraduate college or university which offers Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degrees in communications, broadcast journalism, journalism or their equivalent and is a member of the Broadcast Education Association.
Applications are available online for submission here (the”Website”) and must be filled out in their entirety and submitted by no later than March 24, 2017.
There is no limit to the number of students from participating schools that may enter. Students are limited however to one entry per student. Professors and Administrators at colleges or universities have the option to include the Contest entry as part of the curriculum or have it as an extracurricular project.
2. HOW TO ENTER:
To enter the contest fill out the application here. Please note that you must provide a faculty recommendation letter in one of the acceptable formats (.txt, .doc or .pdf). These letters should comment on your drive, skill, capabilities etc. that will help you make the most of this opportunity. The faculty must provide contact information so that we can contact them directly if we find that your application is in the final group from which the ten interns will be selected.
By entering, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Waskul.TV (Sponsor) and the Judges, which shall be final in all respects on all aspects pertaining to this Contest.
Any non-conforming entries, as determined in Waskul.TV’s sole discretion, will be disqualified. Waskul.TV assumes no responsibility if for any reason, your submission is not received or cannot be evaluated as intended. Waskul.TV is not responsible for any errors in Contest related materials, or lost, late, misdirected, damaged, incomplete or illegible entries. In the event that there are no suitable entrants as determined in Waskul.TV’s sole discretion, Waskul.TV may not award the prize.
This Contest is open to legal residents of the 50 United States, including the District of Columbia, who are undergraduate students at a four year college or university that is a member of the Broadcast Education Association and who have selected communications, broadcast journalism, journalism or an equivalent depending on the college or university, as their primary major or area of concentration. Entrants must be at least 18 years of age or older. Void where prohibited by law. Winners may be required to execute an affidavit swearing to compliance with these eligibility requirements. Current employees or interns or former employees of Waskul.TV, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, agencies and assigns, and their immediate family members (spouse and parents, children and siblings, and their spouses) as well as individuals living in the same household of each are not eligible.
Former interns of Waskul.TV, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, agencies and assigns are eligible to participate in the Contest. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
Applications will be judged by a panel consisting of Waskul.TV and Broadcast Education Association staff members. Judges’ selections are final. Judging will be based and weighted on the following criteria:
- Essay evaluation (40%)
- Faculty recommendation (40%)
- Personal skills assessment (20%)
Six to ten winning individuals will be selected. Winners will receive:
- The sum of Five Hundred Dollars ($500) per winner to offset the cost of round trip airfare, baggage fees and ground transportation. In some cases actual costs may be more or substantially less depending on the particular flights booked by the winner and methods of ground transportation chosen. Winners are responsible for any costs above the $500 provided and may keep any difference if their actual costs are less.
- Two Hundred and Fifty Dollars ($250) for meals and miscellaneous expenses.
- Hotel accommodations for the duration of the program – April 21 – April 28, 2017. Rooms will be shared with 2 same-sex students per room.
- Approximate Retail Value of the prize (ARV) is $1,000 per winner.
- Winners will receive checks on-site in the StudioXperience venue on Saturday April 22, 2017 for their travel award ($500) and cash for their meals and miscellaneous expenses ($250).
- This is an unpaid internship to work with the Waskul.TV team during the 2017 NAB Show in the StudioXperience. Winners may have the opportunity to participate in a live interview segment during the Waskul.TV broadcast from the StudioXperience.
6. PRIZE RESTRICTIONS:
No transfer or substitution of prizes permitted by winners, except that Waskul.TV and the Broadcast Education Association reserve the right to award a prize of equal or greater value in the event of unavailability. Winners will be contacted by telephone, regular mail or e-mail. Potential winners forfeit the prize if not claimed within three (3) days of first attempted notification, whether notification is by e-mail, regular mail or telephone, or, if after reasonable attempts are made, notification is unsuccessful.
The actual value will vary depending on winner’s city of departure. If the actual value turns out to be less than the stated ARV, the difference will not be awarded in cash. All expenses not specifically included, including but not limited to any taxes or expenses as set forth, are the sole responsibility of Winner. Winners must travel on dates specified by Waskul.TV, or may forfeit prize. Selected airline and hotel are at the sole discretion of Waskul.TV and the Broadcast Education Association. If winners reside within a reasonable distance of Las Vegas, NV, Waskul.TV may substitute transportation.
7. PROPERTY RIGHTS:
Once submitted, all entries become the property of the Waskul.TV and no entries will be acknowledged or returned. Submission of entry grants Waskul.TV and its agents the right to publish, use, adapt, edit and/or modify such entry in any way, in any and all media, without limitations and without further consideration to entrants. Submission of entry further constitutes entrants’ consent to irrevocably transfer to Sponsor all rights, title and interest in the entry including without limitation, the copyright.
By submitting any material, you represent and warrant that you are the exclusive owner of the submitted material; that you have the full authority to make this representation and warranty and to submit the submitted material; and that you are submitting the submitted material to Sponsor voluntarily and not in confidence, and that no confidential relationship is intended or created between you and Sponsor in any way. No submissions will be acknowledged or returned.
8. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION:
Potential winners may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release, and, where legal, a publicity release within 14 days of first attempted notification. In the event of non-compliance with these requirements, potential winners’ entry may be disqualified and an alternate winner may be selected at Waskul.TV’s discretion.
All entrants agree to permit Waskul.TV to publicize their entry on its web site and in any other media, and use their entries for Waskul.TV marketing/advertising materials in all media and in perpetuity and for any and all purposes. Furthermore, upon submission, entrant waives any and all right to his/her right to privacy or publicity in connection with the entry. By entering, entrants agree to the use of the winner’s name and likeness for purposes of advertising and promotion without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law.
By entering, participants release and hold harmless Waskul.TV and the Broadcast Education Association, their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees and agents from any and all liability or injuries, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with participation in this Contest or acceptance or use of any prize.
This Contest is governed by the laws of the United States and the State of Texas, without respect to conflict of law doctrines. As a condition of participating in this Contest, participants agree that any and all disputes which cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with this Contest, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in Travis County, Texas having jurisdiction.
Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will participants be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waive all rights to claim punitive, incidental or consequential damages, including attorneys’ fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (e.g. costs associated with entering), and participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
10. PUBLICATION OF WINNERS:
After the Contest has concluded, the winners will be published on the Waskul.TV website.